Wednesday, May 29, 2013

British Baby Showers

I watched Barbara Walters' 20/20 program "Bringing Up Baby: Royal Edition" (hard hitting news, I know) and it was mentioned that Kate was in the middle of quite the conundrum. Her mother started a party planning company, but the Brits don't "do" baby showers. It's "an American thing."  The woman on the program said that the British aren't into making a big deal of things and think it is a little, for lack of a better term, rude to expect people to bring you gifts.

Mind blown.

Of course I had to investigate this cultural disconnect in traditions. I emailed my IPs and received this response and I quote,
"... isn't that just an excuse for all your non pregnant friends to drink at your
expense whilst you have to stay sober and discuss how easy it is to sleep?!?!"

I was astonished (and slightly disappointed they wouldn't jump at the chance to sit, sip, compare and complain...that's my typical girl's night). 

Now, I will say, I think gender reveal parties are a little silly. They seem like a stretch when it comes to excuses to throw a party. But a baby shower? That was just part of the "coming of age" process. I don't think I know a person that had a baby without having a shower.

Poppycock. I will have to convince them how important it is to their livelihood.

2 comments:

  1. I just learned of this last night! A friend of mine married into a German family, and when we were talking about baby shower's and my French IP's she said they didn't believe in them. So strange to me as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met a lady who is from Guam and she said they don't have baby showers because they fear it will jinx the pregnancy. Those weren't her exact words but they don't buy anything for the baby until it is born. She said her first child they literally had NOTHING for it. No carseat, crib, diapers. Nothing. The day the baby was born hers and her husbands family went and bought everything. I thought it was crazy but she said that's how their culture is.

    ReplyDelete