Friday, May 3, 2013

The Adventure Begins

I'm on the cusp of being "approved" from the screening process. Barring the psychologist confirming me crazy or my husband saying something incredibly embarrassing about me during the interview with the social worker that would send up a red flag, I think I'm good to go. Note: he will say something that I deem as embarrassing, but I don't think it will be anything damning...

I'm past the stage that requires me to refresh my gmail account every 5-10 minutes with hopes of a reply or a new "to do" list.

Now I wait.

From what I've noticed, many surrogacy blogs begin a little too late to really understand what the beginning of the "process" entails.

Let me tell you.

Last Monday night, April 22, I applied with Circle Surrogacy (a very long application, by the way). By Tuesday night, my junk folder had been notified that I was accepted for pre-screening. I found out on Wednesday when Jeni, the surrogacy coordinator, called me. Do you know that feeling when the blood in your body stops and turns cold and a bit tingly? That's what I felt when I saw I missed a phone call from an unfamiliar number. It was unfamiliar, but I knew, generally, who it was. 

I will now condense what I experienced and the preliminary process until now:


  • 4/24 - Phone meet and greet with the surrogacy coordinator. Sent family pictures, copy of DL and insurance.  
  • 4/25 - Sent completed a welcome packet (similar to the initial application but with releases for med. records) AND won the "most organized" status for the day (just let me brag a little, I rarely receive that prize...). 
  • 4/26 - I then was tasked with an insurance application with the agency my OB clearance form. 
  • 4/29 - Mailed my personal insurance booklet to HQ.
  • 4/30 - Appointment with OB. "You're cleared! Oh, but I stopped delivering babies..." That is not necessarily a direct quote, but you get the picture. So, I've been cleared by my [former] doctor. Next...
  • 5/1 -  Waiting on prenatal records. Chatted with Jeni. Picked her brain. She is so much easier to get information out of than those surrogacy forums... Also, she told me I should probably  definitely tell my parents as quickly as possible. Planned visit with parents
  • 5/2 -  Told my boss about this ensuing adventure. Positive feedback. She even teared up a bit. 
  • 5/3 - Social worker phone interview set. Justin and I will both complete this. My interview will be 2-2.5 hours.  Justin's will be about half an hour... Apparently, guys have far less to say.

So, I am now in the screening phase. I will speak to the social worker who will create a profile for me and my family. I will, at some point in the near future, complete a psychological exam via Skype with a psychologist from MA, HQ for the agency. I will then get matched with my intended parents. My IPs.

Nervous?    A little bit.
About injections, IFV, meeting the IPs? No
About raising the blood pressure, stress and anxiety levels of my parents? Yes. Definitely.  

1 comment:

  1. You're almost to the super great parts! I'm so happy for you. VERY excited to follow along.

    ReplyDelete